Ben Greenfield: Upgrade Your Body, Brain and Life
“If you really want to optimize yourself as a complete human, you must focus on the body, the mind, and the spirit, not just one of those variables.”
Episode Summary: Taking care of yourself is not easy, particularly if you do not have healthy habits. In this episode, Ben Greenfield, one of the world’s top 100 most influential people in health and fitness, shares some of the first steps anyone looking for healthier lifestyle can take. From the best workouts to supplements, these are the secrets to becoming an optimized human being.
Some Questions I Ask:
- Is there a first place to start taking care of yourself? What is the first thing you can do in the beginning?
- Are there any core habits that you consider fundamental for individuals to cultivate health?
- Are there any specific things that you find particularly helpful in cultivating the spirit?
- Are there important supplements we can take to optimize our brain and mental awareness?
- What are some of the worst and best things we can eat?
- What are the most important lessons you would pass on the next generation?
In This Episode You Will Learn:
- The 2 most important things to control in your diet.
- What complete human optimization means.
- Hidden environmental factors that affect your health.
- How to keep your mind healthy.
- The best way to exercise.
- The connection between spiritual and physical health.
You can never out-supplement your way out of a bad lifestyle.”
Raised in rural North Idaho, Ben Greenfield was home schooled through K-12 and began college at 16, where he started playing singles and doubles for the men’s tennis team.
For four years, Ben studied anatomy, physiology, biomechanics, pharmaceuticals, microbiology, biochemistry and nutrition, eventually rising to the top of his class, completing an internship at Duke University and the National Football League, then graduating in 2004 at 20 years old as the top senior in his class at University of Idaho – all while working as a bartender, personal trainer, lab assistant, nutritionist, spinning instructor, athletic trainer and strength and conditioning coach.
Ben went on to obtain a master’s degree in exercise physiology and biomechanics, after which, in 2005, he leapt hardcore into the fitness world, opening a series of personal training studios, gyms and physiology and biomechanics labs; eventually being voted as America’s top personal trainer in 2008.
While building his empire in the brick-and-mortar fitness industry, Ben competed as one of the top ranked amateur triathletes in the world, completing over 120 races and 12 Ironman triathlons while racing for the elite Team Timex multisport team, winning gold medal for the USA in long course triathlon, and leading squads of swim, bike and run enthusiasts in guided adventures through Hawaii, Thailand, Japan and beyond.
In 2013 and 2014, Ben was named as one of the world’s top 100 most influential people in health and fitness, and by 2015, Ben was coaching the world’s top CEO’s, chefs, biohackers, poker players, tennis, motocross and endurance competitors, and professional athletes from the UFC, the NHL, the NBA, the NFL and beyond. In 2016, he joined Spartan SGX as one of its certified coaches.
As founder and CEO of Kion, Ben now creates step-by-step solutions – from supplements and fitness gear, to coaching and consulting, to education and media – for the world’s hard-charging, high-achievers to live a truly limitless life with fully optimized minds, bodies and spirits.
Guest Links: bengreenfieldfitness.com