Martha Beck - How To Claim The Life You Were Meant To Live
“It’s not really the economic devices, but the story that we tell ourselves that determines whether we rise or fall.”
Episode Summary: In this touching episode Martha Beck, New York Times best-selling author and monthly columnist for O, The Oprah Magazine, shares how she found the courage to break away from her birth religion as well as sharing her inspiring lessons from being the mother of a down-syndrome child. She talks about the importance of living in integrity to fulfilling your purpose and how the stories we tell ourselves are the key to achieving success.
Some Questions I Ask:
- What led to your journey of becoming an author?
- Was there a moment when you knew that this was your career?
- What would you say to a person who wants to find their purpose? Are there any first steps to connect with to find out what they are truly here to do?
- What gave you the courage to break away and make your own path?
- What lessons have you learned from being a mother to a down-syndrome child?
In This Episode You Will Learn:
- How to navigate fear and move through it.
- A key practice to cultivate compassion.
- How to shift your limiting story to an empowering one.
- The importance of integrity in finding your purpose.
- How to move through needing other people’s approval and validation.
It’s when the energy of self aligns with the energy of truth that true creativity and power become available.”
Martha Beck grew up wanting to be an ecologist or a professor. However, after bearing three children while acquiring three Harvard degrees, she decided she'd rather just lie down for a few decades. During that time she became an author and life coach. Her books include Expecting Adam, Leaving the Saints, Finding Your Own North Star, The Joy Diet, Steering By Starlight, Finding Your Way in a Wild New World, and her brand new book, Diana, Herself: An Allegory of Awakening.
She has been a columnist for O, The Oprah Magazine since its inception in 2001. Martha has also been a contributing editor for several popular magazines, including Real Simple and Redbook.
As president of her company, Martha Beck, Inc., she continues to speak around the world, as well as offer virtual teleclasses and in-person workshops a few times a year. She also trains life coaches worldwide through her Wayfinder Life Coach Training program.
Guest Links: MarthaBeck.com